Defining the characteristics of story in my favorite story, Hotarubi no Mori e.
1) Character – the main character, who goes by the name Gin, is a spirit whose body is maintained by magic. Despite originally being human, he has survived a long life span with the help of magic. The downside being that a body maintained by magic is weak and will disappear if touched by a human.
2) Intent – Gin being originally human wishes to be able to experience the things that humans experience and wants to touch humans. His intent changes as his relationship with a human girl that he meets develops.
3) Action – Gin one day meets a young girl who is lost in the forest and gradually they become friends. From friendship and time blooms love. MUTUAL LOVE at that.
4) Conflict/Struggle – As Gin’s relationship with the girl develops, he’s forced to realize that the love is impossible or at the very least very painful. Should he express his love for her, they can never touch and should they touch his life with end the next moment.
5) Detail – The movie is approximately 40 minutes long and it spans about 10 years of their relationship from beginning to end. Snapshots of the time that they shared are used to show the development of feelings. Gin wears a mask to remind himself as well as others that he isn’t human.